Whole wheats, whole grains, and whole oats. OH MY!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Waste Not Want Not War

For some people, being a good or frugal steward of their resources is learned by example or it just comes naturally. Not so for me. Learning how to measure and gauge the amount of whole grains to mill each time I baked took some time and effort. Along the way I wasted excess grain or used 'old' flour which had been milled days before only to keep from waiting it - all the while knowing the older flour was not what was BEST for us nor was using ’old’ four the reason I mill grains in the first place. Because of my desire not to waste our supply of grain and to not eat 'old' flour, I had to devise a cunning plan to keep from wasting the flour once it had been milled.

By trial and error, I found that there are two means of being sure to make the most of the grains and not waste the flour they produce. Measuring accurately before milling is the first of my two weapons in this Waste Not Want Not War....

This is only the part of the tip. Come back tomorrow for the rest of it. :)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: