Whole wheats, whole grains, and whole oats. OH MY!

Monday, May 14, 2007

The rest of the tip...

Here's the rest of that tip from the other day, as promised :D...sorry I didn't blog it sooner, I've been busy the past few days. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Let us look at how to measure properly before we mill those little kernels of nutritional 'gold'. Most wheat, spelt and rye (kernels that are the size and shape of a grain of rice) will make one third again as much flour as the measured whole grain itself. For example: If I place 1 cup of the described type of grain in my Nutrimill and grind it on the finest ground setting, I will end up with approximately 1 and 1/3 cups of flour. So to make my usual whole wheat bread recipe which calls for 3.25 cups of flour, I know that I can measure 2.5 cups of wheat (I mix 1 cup of Hard Red Winter and 1.5 cups of Hard White Spring) and end up with about 3 and 1/3 cups of fresh, ready-to-use whole flour. The tiny bit left that does not go in the recipe, dusts the counter for forming the loaf!

The larger the grain the more flour/meal it will produce, up to half again as much. Buckwheat and corn will mill almost half again as much flour per measured grain. After a little bit of figuring I have not had nearly any waist of fresh flour for most of my regularly prepared recipes. Also, don’t forget, I have another weapon in my arsenal of this Waist Not Want Not War. That is your NEXT Tip!

Keep coming back for more tips and information or subscribe to my feed. Thanks for reading and happy eating! :)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: