Whole wheats, whole grains, and whole oats. OH MY!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bread at home

Not only is baking your own bread with whole wheat at home much much healthier. You also know exactly what is going into your bread, unlike what you buy at the store.

You've heard the saying 'practice makes perfect' right? Well, that's what baking bread is like. It's not that hard to bake bread, but it does take practice. It may seem a little scary at first to start baking your own bread at home, but don't sweat it just find a good bread recipe. I'm sure you may have neighbors or a grandmother who have amazing bread recipes, and they may even want to join you and come help with the process. Don't be ashamed to ask for some help, I'm sure they would be thrilled to lend a hand.

Once you've gotten good at making just plain ole whole wheat bread at home. You can try other great bread recipes or even try baking some biscuits, or rolls, or even pastries! Once you get good at one thing, you can start adding in a few other recipes and testing out all sorts of ways to make your breads better. The possibilities are endless!

I started off making bread from my milled whole grains and now I've gotten to where I can make biscuits, pretzels, pizza crusts, bagels, flat breads, etc. I can make all sorts of things if I just put my mind to it. It's a whole lot of fun. Start out small and with one or two things to make, because you don't want to get discouraged if you can't do 4 different types of breads. Never give up, you're going to have some mishaps, just push through.

And have fun! That's the key. If you're making this for you family or even if you're just doing it for yourself. Don't slave away in the kitchen, have fun with it and don't stress if a recipe doesn't work out exactly how you planned. Who knows, that mistake may even give you a better recipe. It's happened to me plenty of times.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: